Skip to main content

A PERSONAL STORY ON CEREBRAL PALSY: CAN REALLY GOD TAKE AWAY DISABILITIES?

Did I always know better? No.

So, I will tell you something that happened in Secondary School ten years ago. There was this girl that had Cerebral Palsy. But I didn’t know that was it. I always thought that she had a curse or possession. 

Image from Very Well Health site 

I did not even know about Cerebral Palsy until I got out of high school. I randomly remembered her last year and felt so terrible.

This girl was subjected to mockery, ridicule, and so much stress in a boarding school by her teachers, mates, and seniors. I couldn’t even possibly imagine how she felt. She had to make it to class every day without support and learn like others. There was no form of special education in the school. 

See Last Month's post: Reservations from a love struck neurotypical sibling 

I cannot blame her parents, even if it’s questioning to let your child come to that kind of environment. They may not have known about her problem. If they weren't aware she was different, they may not know of special education. I suppose. 

See, this is why awareness is essential. I can excuse my behavior because I was young and so were her mates, and disabilities weren’t really known then, but now that people are advocating on various platforms, what’s your excuse? 

If you’re older and refuse to believe;

  1. Everyone is different
  2. People have different strengths and weaknesses.
  3. Anyone can have a disability.

I’m sorry for you. 

So, I questioned myself about God and disabilities. During morning prayers, a case of Autism was mentioned by the pastor. I thought about it- can God take Autism away?

Can he take away any disability? Forgive me, I thought about my brother’s case; Tobi has been different ALL his life, but I can’t possibly see him different, to do things like me. Before you judge me, this is something we have lived with for 23 years. 

But then, I sat down, thinking about it; How can a physically-challenged person sleep and wake up better? With legs and arms working? 

Shame on me for trying to limit God. That is why we call him Awesome, because there are things that are shocking to humans, but are little to God. 

This powerful creator opened up the ground to swallow people; he parted the sea for humans to pass through, and he made a donkey talk. 

See also: Normalizing conversations about disabilities and disorders

Can you see what I’m trying to imply?

Do not limit God. The thing is that God lets things happen for different reasons- remember that part of the bible of how he knew us before we were formed. You may not even know- God may have put you in this world for something he had been preparing for years. For years, sweetheart. 

There are different ways that God can make someone with special needs better- by providing healthcare, therapy, bettering the person’s behavior, and importantly, taking it all away.

Even though God can shift things, it still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t learn and accept people’s differences. Can everyone be healed? Who knows? God can do anything that he wants and must not be questioned. But please, be aware of people’s differences.

Safe to say that I’ll pray that God’s healing hand will be on every person with a disability but I’m still going to advocate for people with disorders and differences. That’s just it.  

Please celebrate Oluwatobi Ajayi, a lawyer, self-advocate of cerebral palsy and author! Whenever you think that people with disorders don’t have lives, remember that she has one and lives a fulfilling life. 

Oluwatobiloba Ajayi, Lawyer and founder of Let Cerebral Palsy Kids learn foundation.


 

 

Comments

  1. This is really lovely ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ! We should learn to accept each other’s differences

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Change

HOW I DEALT WITH THE NEWS. Hiiiiiii. Let me just say my awesome friends pushed me to doing this and I love them❤️ So I have been so fortunate to know the word “Autism and everything it entails. I have a brother of 17 years who is autistic and if you knew me well, you would know I mention Tobi like a million times a day, when referring to anything. He's just in my mind everytime, gosh. Is it weird that I don’t remember my childhood? Maybe, But I think it’s so weird that I don’t understand how it happened, why it keeps happening to children, but I can tell that they are beautiful in every way and when my brother became autistic, was he meant to be this or was cursed? As a Nigerian, you question things like this and search for spiritual help.  I never knew of the situation till I was 14. When I was younger, I was ignorant. I didn’t know what was wrong with my brother. I was even too self-absorbed at that age or just busy looking for trouble. I didn’t know why he didn’t speak or w

Helllooooooo!

PARENTS Last time I wrote about how I handled the news of my brother being on the spectrum, possibly telling the other siblings who have special siblings that everything will be okay if they just understand their siblings and try their best to create time for them and appreciate their existence. So today is for the parents and also siblings though. I’m not a parent but I’m at that age to learn things, to accept them. I can tell that I’m probably going to be an extra and dramatic mother๐Ÿคท If you have a parent in your life or a parental figure in your life that actually loves you and does everything to make you happy, you’re so lucky. Trust me that they might not show you love the way you want it, but they do. I follow this Instagram platform for Autism parents and the way they talk about them is amazing. There are like super heroes. You can imagine how hard parenting is. How you have to sacrifice your own need for a person. I don’t know how I would handle it but parenthood is someth