Skip to main content

This Autism-documentary will change lives!


 Let’s talk about Autism films.

Filmmaking has so much power that we underestimate it. Do you know how much change you can drive when you showcase a topic in a film? 

I feel that film should lean more toward the function of education than entertainment. Do you know how many people watch films? Even people in the rural areas watch movies. It connects people. 

When I went to film school, I said I was going to tell stories about Autism and other disorders. Not that other topics aren’t important, but I feel this is my niche. 

So, I produced a film on Autism and it’s called “Echoes of Hope: Navigating Autism in Nigeria

See trailer of film

And wow, I had a screening where people came and I felt this sense of pride,” I did that!” with the mighty help and favor of God. I look back at the journey with the documentary and it was just beautiful. God halted my plans to produce the documentary with a friend and four years later, connected me to some people that helped me.

My co-producer, Mrs . Solape Azazi is someone who is also very connected to Autism and how she helped me, it’s just by God’s leading. 

Echoes of Hope: Navigating Autism in Nigeria is a film that showcases the experiences of special needs families, professionals, and special school owners in Nigeria. In Nigeria, there are not many known films on Autism- both non-fiction and fiction, this is something that I must change. I have a flair for storytelling, I’m determined and organized. Of course, I’m going to do it. 



I think there are so many things that people need to find out about special needs through film because books are not loved by everyone. 

See books on Autism: 

I’ve taken that as my life duty to create more stories on special needs and whoever is interested in it, is free to take on a space in my life, because whether we like it or not, God wants us to be loving and supportive to everyone and just because someone doesn’t communicate the way we do or can’t walk the way we do, doesn’t mean they are less deserving. 



Just like we deserve the very best in life, they also do so. I don’t know about you, but I will make sure my brother gets the best in life, despite his disorder. He will have access to good things, he will get married, have children, have a job, and be great

The film also has a good message to special needs families; you need to hope. There is this bible verse- Romans 5 5 “And hope doesn’t put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.”

Have hope that things will be better!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Change

HOW I DEALT WITH THE NEWS. Hiiiiiii. Let me just say my awesome friends pushed me to doing this and I love them❤️ So I have been so fortunate to know the word “Autism and everything it entails. I have a brother of 17 years who is autistic and if you knew me well, you would know I mention Tobi like a million times a day, when referring to anything. He's just in my mind everytime, gosh. Is it weird that I don’t remember my childhood? Maybe, But I think it’s so weird that I don’t understand how it happened, why it keeps happening to children, but I can tell that they are beautiful in every way and when my brother became autistic, was he meant to be this or was cursed? As a Nigerian, you question things like this and search for spiritual help.  I never knew of the situation till I was 14. When I was younger, I was ignorant. I didn’t know what was wrong with my brother. I was even too self-absorbed at that age or just busy looking for trouble. I didn’t know why he didn’t speak or w

A PERSONAL STORY ON CEREBRAL PALSY: CAN REALLY GOD TAKE AWAY DISABILITIES?

Did I always know better? No. So, I will tell you something that happened in Secondary School ten years ago. There was this girl that had Cerebral Palsy . But I didn’t know that was it. I always thought that she had a curse or possession.  Image from Very Well Health site  I did not even know about Cerebral Palsy until I got out of high school. I randomly remembered her last year and felt so terrible. This girl was subjected to mockery, ridicule, and so much stress in a boarding school by her teachers, mates, and seniors. I couldn’t even possibly imagine how she felt. She had to make it to class every day without support and learn like others. There was no form of special education in the school.  See Last Month's post: Reservations from a love struck neurotypical sibling   I cannot blame her parents, even if it’s questioning to let your child come to that kind of environment. They may not have known about her problem. If they weren't aware she was different, they may no

Helllooooooo!

PARENTS Last time I wrote about how I handled the news of my brother being on the spectrum, possibly telling the other siblings who have special siblings that everything will be okay if they just understand their siblings and try their best to create time for them and appreciate their existence. So today is for the parents and also siblings though. I’m not a parent but I’m at that age to learn things, to accept them. I can tell that I’m probably going to be an extra and dramatic mother🤷 If you have a parent in your life or a parental figure in your life that actually loves you and does everything to make you happy, you’re so lucky. Trust me that they might not show you love the way you want it, but they do. I follow this Instagram platform for Autism parents and the way they talk about them is amazing. There are like super heroes. You can imagine how hard parenting is. How you have to sacrifice your own need for a person. I don’t know how I would handle it but parenthood is someth