Skip to main content

BE DISABILITY-FRIENDLY

Have you ever, at some point, felt excluded from a group or social gathering? Especially when making plans with friends but you end up being cast away? 


That must have been so sad.

If your answer is yes, you probably feel how persons with disabilities feel. 



Image from The Dominican Star


For years, persons with disabilities have had various misconceptions targeted to them. They are tagged as “Talentless, Unlovable, Dumb, weak.”

Even despite the conscious efforts from organizations, some people still carry the same misconceptions. Worse, they are passing them down to their families.That should NEVER be you. 


SEE: International Day of Acceptance 


Today is the International Day of Acceptance. This day is created for the social Acceptance of disabilities. So, how do you respond to people with disabilities? Embrace people’s differences.

Some people are born with specific abilities, and some are not. God never intended for anyone to be the same. Differences also never mean that the person is less.


Forever register this in your mind: Not everyone was born with a disability- it happens through sicknesses and accidents.


That is not to scare you but to remind you that some things can also happen to you. 

The best way to celebrate this day is to show kindness; kindness through your words and actions. Encourage someone. Create opportunities for them. Make facilities for persons with disabilities. Create a healthy environment for them- some require walking and hearing aids, some need a functioning wheelchair, and some need artificial limbs. 




There is a lot Nigeria needs to improve on. The Netherlands has buses and trams equipped with wheelchair lifts. Additionally, the Dutch government has an initiative to make restaurants more accessible for people in wheelchairs.


Other countries like Canada, Montreal, Japan, and Argentina are also very friendly towards persons with differences. 


These countries have taken many steps to ensure that attractions, transportation, and lodging are accessible for people with disabilities and those with physical disabilities.

Public transportation for persons with disabilities will go a long way. 


SEE: Normalizing discussions about disabilities 


These are things we shouldn’t wait for our government to do; that’s where societal partnerships come in. 

Remember that goal- Inclusion! Disability inclusion involves creating an environment where everyone, regardless of their ability, feels valued and respected and enjoys equal access to opportunities. 


So get this. Awareness----- Acceptance-----Inclusion

That’s just it. Don’t forget to show kindness. A great way to be disability-friendly is by watching your words. Not everything is a joke. I think making fun of someone’s limp is a sign of insecurity. Don’t be insecure. 


I’ll leave you with what the Founder of this day, Annie Hopkins, quoted: “Embrace diversity. Educate your community. Empower each other. Love life.” It’s important to understand that these concepts are all related. We can all love life more when we follow these principles….” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Change

HOW I DEALT WITH THE NEWS. Hiiiiiii. Let me just say my awesome friends pushed me to doing this and I love them❤️ So I have been so fortunate to know the word “Autism and everything it entails. I have a brother of 17 years who is autistic and if you knew me well, you would know I mention Tobi like a million times a day, when referring to anything. He's just in my mind everytime, gosh. Is it weird that I don’t remember my childhood? Maybe, But I think it’s so weird that I don’t understand how it happened, why it keeps happening to children, but I can tell that they are beautiful in every way and when my brother became autistic, was he meant to be this or was cursed? As a Nigerian, you question things like this and search for spiritual help.  I never knew of the situation till I was 14. When I was younger, I was ignorant. I didn’t know what was wrong with my brother. I was even too self-absorbed at that age or just busy looking for trouble. I didn’t know why he didn’t speak or w

Helllooooooo!

PARENTS Last time I wrote about how I handled the news of my brother being on the spectrum, possibly telling the other siblings who have special siblings that everything will be okay if they just understand their siblings and try their best to create time for them and appreciate their existence. So today is for the parents and also siblings though. I’m not a parent but I’m at that age to learn things, to accept them. I can tell that I’m probably going to be an extra and dramatic motheršŸ¤· If you have a parent in your life or a parental figure in your life that actually loves you and does everything to make you happy, you’re so lucky. Trust me that they might not show you love the way you want it, but they do. I follow this Instagram platform for Autism parents and the way they talk about them is amazing. There are like super heroes. You can imagine how hard parenting is. How you have to sacrifice your own need for a person. I don’t know how I would handle it but parenthood is someth

A PERSONAL STORY ON CEREBRAL PALSY: CAN REALLY GOD TAKE AWAY DISABILITIES?

Did I always know better? No. So, I will tell you something that happened in Secondary School ten years ago. There was this girl that had Cerebral Palsy . But I didn’t know that was it. I always thought that she had a curse or possession.  Image from Very Well Health site  I did not even know about Cerebral Palsy until I got out of high school. I randomly remembered her last year and felt so terrible. This girl was subjected to mockery, ridicule, and so much stress in a boarding school by her teachers, mates, and seniors. I couldn’t even possibly imagine how she felt. She had to make it to class every day without support and learn like others. There was no form of special education in the school.  See Last Month's post: Reservations from a love struck neurotypical sibling   I cannot blame her parents, even if it’s questioning to let your child come to that kind of environment. They may not have known about her problem. If they weren't aware she was different, they may no