Skip to main content

CREATING A COMMUNITY OF AWE-TISM ADVOCATES: FIRST TIME SPEAKER!



 Last year, I prayed that I would be part of the speakers for the GT-Bank Annual Autism Programme and I got an opportunity!

As a chronic overthinker and scaredy cat, I began to worry if I would be able to do it. Everyone knows Public speaking is not my best forte. I couldn’t raise my voice in a group of ten, why would I be able to do it with over 300 people in the room and more virtually?

Despite the voices in my head and my tailor trying to mess up my life the day before, I promised myself that I would let nothing bother me. 

Nothing.

This year’s theme is creating a community of Awe-tism Advocates and I couldn’t love it much more. This was the exact one I wanted to go into.

To be honest, I cannot seem to understand how GT bank had been able to plan something so perfect. Everything was perfect for me from the dance and drama presentation by Corporate dance world, to the end of the two-day conference. 

I was part of the panel discussion "It takes with a village", this means that it takes a community to raise a child with Autism. Contrary to what people believe, not only parents have the ability to raise a child. It's meant for everyone in the family and possibly around the extended family too.

We all have a part to play.  I was there to speak on the siblings' point of view, although I had not said enough but I emphasized that we need support groups for siblings. We need siblings to feel like they have someone to talk to. 

Thank God for the ability to talk to him and also for good friends, if not I would have been insane by now.

I learned several things. Advocacy starts with you. You don’t need anyone to start up something. 

Mr. Paul Okeugo mentioned that “You cannot know me and not know what autism is”

That is exactly what I want. For someone to know me and not be able to shut up about Autism.

Autism is one of the fasting growing neurodevelopment disorders in Nigeria. Over 600 people are born with Autism every year. It only makes sense that we speak up about it. There are thousands of people with Autism both in the urban areas and rural areas. I believe that it is something that we need to spread the word about because there are people who believe that Autism is a sign of bad luck, something of demonic possession. 

That’s why I would always appreciate Gurnett Trust Bank for all that they are doing- it takes great will and courage to keep doing this for years. They have not only touched lives but have changed a lot of people’s lives.

Thank you, Guarantee Trust Bank, and thank you for having me. I hope next time I wouldn’t be so shy to speak my truth.

For more about the 12th conference, watch this link. https://youtu.be/reQVSbv3fI

Let's strive for an inclusive world. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Change

HOW I DEALT WITH THE NEWS. Hiiiiiii. Let me just say my awesome friends pushed me to doing this and I love them❤️ So I have been so fortunate to know the word “Autism and everything it entails. I have a brother of 17 years who is autistic and if you knew me well, you would know I mention Tobi like a million times a day, when referring to anything. He's just in my mind everytime, gosh. Is it weird that I don’t remember my childhood? Maybe, But I think it’s so weird that I don’t understand how it happened, why it keeps happening to children, but I can tell that they are beautiful in every way and when my brother became autistic, was he meant to be this or was cursed? As a Nigerian, you question things like this and search for spiritual help.  I never knew of the situation till I was 14. When I was younger, I was ignorant. I didn’t know what was wrong with my brother. I was even too self-absorbed at that age or just busy looking for trouble. I didn’t know why he didn’t speak or w

A PERSONAL STORY ON CEREBRAL PALSY: CAN REALLY GOD TAKE AWAY DISABILITIES?

Did I always know better? No. So, I will tell you something that happened in Secondary School ten years ago. There was this girl that had Cerebral Palsy . But I didn’t know that was it. I always thought that she had a curse or possession.  Image from Very Well Health site  I did not even know about Cerebral Palsy until I got out of high school. I randomly remembered her last year and felt so terrible. This girl was subjected to mockery, ridicule, and so much stress in a boarding school by her teachers, mates, and seniors. I couldn’t even possibly imagine how she felt. She had to make it to class every day without support and learn like others. There was no form of special education in the school.  See Last Month's post: Reservations from a love struck neurotypical sibling   I cannot blame her parents, even if it’s questioning to let your child come to that kind of environment. They may not have known about her problem. If they weren't aware she was different, they may no

Helllooooooo!

PARENTS Last time I wrote about how I handled the news of my brother being on the spectrum, possibly telling the other siblings who have special siblings that everything will be okay if they just understand their siblings and try their best to create time for them and appreciate their existence. So today is for the parents and also siblings though. I’m not a parent but I’m at that age to learn things, to accept them. I can tell that I’m probably going to be an extra and dramatic motheršŸ¤· If you have a parent in your life or a parental figure in your life that actually loves you and does everything to make you happy, you’re so lucky. Trust me that they might not show you love the way you want it, but they do. I follow this Instagram platform for Autism parents and the way they talk about them is amazing. There are like super heroes. You can imagine how hard parenting is. How you have to sacrifice your own need for a person. I don’t know how I would handle it but parenthood is someth